By: Claire Parker
1. Assign leadership roles. No one likes a person who takes charge too quickly or does everything for the project. In that same light, it’s really hard to work with people on a team if they do nothing. Without hurting anyone’s feelings, it’s nice to assign everyone a role. For example, one person can always be in charge of scheduling the meeting spot, one person can keep everyone on time and on track, and another can keep people accountable for their work.
2. Schedule deadlines before the actual deadlines. Have you ever worked with anyone who saves their work for the last minute? This pretty much describes half of the population, but now there is a solution for it. Trick yourself and your group members into an earlier due date so you don’t have to stress the night before something is due. Whether you’re working together on a PR plan or a news release, you’ll feel much better about your early turn-in date than late one!
3. Physically work together. Your best ideas come out when you can bounce them off of other group members. Sometimes it’s hard to get together as an entire big group, but your writing will flow better, your ideas will work together and the strategies will translate into the timeline which will be in line with the budget. It’s tempting to put everything on a GoogleDoc and let people fill out different sections, but then the voice of the plan/paper won’t be congruent. Take the time to meet with your team, map out ideas and write.
4. Listen. Everyone has really creative ideas on projects, but sometimes it’s hard to stop talking and listen. If you’re a louder group member, take a second to sit back and hear what your other group members might have to say. You might surprise yourself and like their idea more than your own.
5. Celebrate as a team. Now that your project is done and you’ve turned it in, celebrate with your team members. Thank everyone for doing a great job and working really hard. Remind yourself that no matter what the grade is, everyone put their best into the project. You guys worked hard!